It’s critical for insurance professionals to be able to connect with their target clients.  If transportation is your industry focus, the endless acronyms and trucking lingo can be challenging to navigate.  Our team of transportation experts at MJ Kelly have put together a handy guide to aid in communications with your trucking clients:

AI: Additional insured

APD: Auto physical damage

Bill of Lading: Itemized list of goods contained in a shipment

Bobtail: Non-trucking auto liability coverage when the tractor is returning home without a load (no trailer)

CAB: Central Analysis Bureau provides comprehensive motor carrier reports, monitoring services, and financial analysis

CGVW: Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (tractor or truck plus loaded trailer)

CMV: Commercial Motor Vehicle is any car or truck used to transport goods or passengers for a business

Covered Wagon: A flatbed type of trailer with sidewalls and a tarp

CV: Claimant’s vehicle abbreviation on a loss run or claims report

CVSA: Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance is a nonprofit association of local, state, provincial, territorial and federal commercial motor vehicle safety officials and industry representatives

Deadhead: Non-trucking auto liability coverage when the tractor is returning home with an empty trailer

ELD: Electronic Logging Device is an electronic solution that enables professional truck drivers and commercial motor carriers to track hours of service compliance. All CDL drivers required to keep a Record of Duty Status must use an ELD to document their compliance.

FMCSA: Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is an agency in the United States Department of Transportation that regulates the trucking industry in the United States. The primary mission of the FMCSA is to reduce crashes, injuries, and fatalities involving large trucks and buses.

GVW: Gross Vehicle Weight is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the truck’s chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers, and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.

H&NO: Hired & Non-Owned Auto Insurance. Hired Car Coverage protects from liability claims arising from the use of a rented, leased, borrowed vehicle up to the chosen liability limits of the policy (note: Hired Car coverage does not cover autos leased, hired, rented, or lent from employees or family members).  Non-Owned Auto Coverage covers commercial liability expenses triggered by accidents involving rental cars or employee-owned vehicles used for business use.

HazMat: Hazardous Materials

HOS: Hours of Service are regulations issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration that govern the working hours of anyone operating a commercial motor vehicle in the United States.

Intermodal: Shipping container freight involves the transportation of freight in an intermodal container or vehicle, using multiple modes of transportation, without any handling of the cargo itself when changing modes.

IV: Term on a loss run/claims report for the insured’s vehicle

LTL: Less Than Truckload or a load less than 10,000 pounds

MTC: Motor Truck Cargo insurance provides legal liability coverage for truckers while they are transporting the property of others. The policy protects the trucker and cargo.

OOS: Out of Service Violation is generated from a failed DOT inspection and removes the driver and CMV off the roadway until the violation is corrected.

Paddle Run: A truck route with lots of deliveries

Reefer: A refrigeration unit on a truck or trailer designed to carry perishable freight at specific temperatures. Reefer breakdown coverage provides coverage for cargo loss in the event of a mechanical breakdown or a problem with your refrigeration unit. Insurance policy wording and endorsements for refrigeration breakdown coverage will specify age of unit restrictions, maintenance requirements, limits and deductibles as well as certain exclusions which vary by insurance companies.

Skateboard: A flatbed trailer

Thermos Bottle: A tanker truck

Tractor: The semi-truck chassis that pulls a trailer (a “tractor” does not have a bed)

Trailer Interchange:  Physical damage coverage on non-owned trailers that is often required by contract or a trailer interchange agreement.

UIIA:  Uniform Intermodal Interchange and Facilities Access Agreement

VIN: Vehicle Identification Number

WOS: Waiver of Subrogation

MJ Kelly specializes in transportation insurance. For all premium sizes, loss history, and classes of business, our team will work hard to find the best solution for your client.  We know the right questions to ask and will ensure your clients have the coverage they deserve.